Friday, January 26, 2007

A "Simple Time"

I went to California for my mother's surgery on Monday. My mother is approaching age 80 and my step-father is approaching age 85. Nothing is ever simple with the "ole folks"!

Tuesday morning we were off to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. The surgery was completed ahead of schedule. My step-father held up quite well (for him). We went home Tuesday evening, got a good night's sleep and came back to take Ma home Wednesday morning.

Things seemed very normal at home Wednesday and we all went to bed perhaps a little early.

At 3:30 a.m. Thursday - Ma - said: "Wake up G - I's - in tremendous pain - and wants to go to the emergency room. We were in the emergency room from 4:00 a.m. til 4:00 p.m. - when there was finally a room to admit I. By that time most possible problems had been ruled out with various tests.

Then Ma - discovered that she was dehydrated because she's not drunk anywhere enough liquids. Once she began drinking water, her digestive system went from - way too slow - to ooooooooooeeeeeeee - and wouldn't let up.

I took her home to get a nap, but she couldn't lay down without ooooeeee - and quickly made an appointment to see a doctor at 7:00 p.m. at the clinic at the hospital. Her appointment felt rushed in her estimation - and gave her no relief.


It took forever for her to get her blood test done. She seemed more than a little out of it - and went with me back to the emergency room - and asked a nurse we'd dealt with earlier - if she could get a bed to lie down on there (understand that there were a good 20-30 or more people waiting for help in the emergency room). That (of course) didn't work!!! We went up to I.'s room - and then were sent home to get some sleep.

Friday morning - we were up and doing fine until we were about to head off to the hospital. I couldn't find Ma's keys - which I'd had. I looked all over several times and couldn't find them. We used I's keys and I dropped her off at the hospital.

I went back to the house - looked a 3rd or 4th time and still couldn't find the keys. M .- picked me up and we both searched unsuccessfully for the keys. We were off to the airport for my flight home. M. - said - we've searched the whole house - Ma - must have the keys in her purse. I told her she'd searched the purse, but acknowledged that this was possible. M. talked with her husband - who was with the Ole Man and Ma - and Ma said again - that she'd looked in her purse and that I'd lost the keys.

A minute later - as we arrived at the airport to drop me off - M.'s cell phone rang - and she said: "She's found the keys in her purse" - and - yup - she was right!

Flying home was rather a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (*smiling*!!!)

Thanks!

No comments: