Sunday, October 22, 2006

Dog Days

Yesterday morning - the dog was "not happy" in its crate in the living room. It was 5:00 a.m. and I was hoping to sleep until 7-8:00 p.m. because I was exhausted. Twas not to be!!!

L-Wood was happy to go on a walk. After perhaps 40 yards of walking he showed that he clearly had diarrhea. Twice more he went or tried to go while we were out. After a usual sized walk he had food and water, but didn't eat anything.

I let him walk free in our house (as I had started doing because he'd been fine). Within a few minutes I heard and saw the end of him peeing on our living room rug. I mildly chastized him, took him outside and he didn't go any more.

I then put him in his crate and he seemed comfortable there. It was now only about 6:30 a.m.!

He seemed fine in the crate as the boys watched tv after they got up. About 11:30 a.m. I tried to take him out of the crate for another walk and he wouldn't move. I didn't want to drag him out extremely forcibly so I left him there. I took a shower and tried again and again he refused to come out.

I left home with our older son alone with L-Wood (crated). At 12:40 p.m. I got a call from my step-son that he'd pooped - diarrhea inside and outside the crate. I came home, put the dog in the backyard on his chain and cleaned up the mess.

I called the vet from the younger boy's soccer game (he'd had a play date in the morning with the coach's son) and at their behest brought him in. He had parasites, 2 meds and came home where he stayed in the yard - eating the bland food they'd given me for him.

He seemed fine and normal thereafter. My partner came home late last night. This morning - I took him on a long walk. He peed on the walk and seemed very normal.

I left him in the yard when I left for working out - partner still asleep.

At 9:40 I get a phone call - he'd somehow gotten his leash unsnapped and escaped. At about 10:20 or so - I sight him about a block from our house - heading back towards the creek when I called him from a good 100 yards away. He crossed the creek (again) and disappeared again.

I walked and B drove looking for him - without success. About 11:25 p.m. - the vet's office called. Someone had found him, put a leash around his neck and brought him to the vet. He had nothing to identify him and his microchip wasn't detectible.

We picked him up and got him a new collar and a new crate so he has two crates. Friday the private trainer will be here for a 2 hour lesson! Will peace begin then?

L-Wood is a good boy - but needs to settle down - and not be so scared and distant. The vet says it may take 6-8 weeks for this to happen. He was certainly traumatized in his earlier life.

Friday - Stuart - the cat - sweet and small - calmly slowly came towards L-Wood and he was scared of Stuart! He'd previously let Stuart - sniff him several days earlier.

Hopefully - things will be calm for awhile now!


No comments: