Friday, July 20, 2007

Returning to My Past

Over the past week I've been in Chicago and Madison - where I lived most of the time during and after college from 1969-1989. I've visited old friends and old haunts of my earlier life.

It is interesting for me to see the feelings that come out, particularly in relation to areas of both pain and pleasure in my past and present. To see where I lived with my ex-wife when we were first together, to see how the cities have changed and not changed, to see some I'd not seen in 25 years - as we are gray and "aging" - is both sobering and satisfying.

To reflect upon the mistakes and joys of my earlier life is helpful. Tomorrow I will return to the Pacific Northwest and move back towards "normalcy".

I've enjoyed parts of what I've experienced. Parts of it have also been hard for me.

Thanks!

No comments: